“When Do I need a Furnace Tune-up?”
Q: When do I need a furnace tune up? A: You need an annual furnace tune up
This is an overlooked piece of home maintenance. On the other hand, there’s a reason HVAC companies who push fall tune-ups every year. We’re strong believers in getting a tune-up every year. Why? Because we have seen what happens when homeowners don’t get an annual tune-up.
As we approach the colder months, now is the best time to guarantee your furnace is ready to provide you maximum comfort all winter long.
What is Furnace Maintenance?
Fall maintenance is a checkup a qualified HVAC technician completes to clean, inspect, test, and prep your furnace for the winter.
A tune-up may differ from company to company, depending on the level of expertise.
What’s Included in a Furnace Tune-Up?
Furnace maintenance has many purposes:
- Make certain the furnace is operating efficiently
- Improve the overall performance for better indoor comfort
- Enhance the safety of the system & minimize risks to air quality
- Identify minor issues to help avoid furnace breakdowns
An annual furnace tune-up covers the essential maintenance care your heating system needs.
- Lubricate motor bearings & other moving parts
- Check & adjust fan belt tension
- Voltage & current checks
- Tighten all electrical connections
- Inspect heat exchanger
- Test exhaust system
- Inspect & clean burner
- Verify & adjust gas pressure
- Test ignition system
- Test & verify system controls
- Inspect & clear condensate drain
- Clean interior & exterior of the furnace
- Change air filter
- Test carbon monoxide levels
- Inspect & calibrate the thermostat
Benefits of a Furnace Tune-Up
- Ensures your system is in good working order
- Prevents the chance of future breakdowns
- Helps improve your home’s energy efficiency
- Maintains your furnace’s warranty
As a rule, it’s best to have your furnace professionally tuned up during the fall season. Tune-ups will help avoid suffering a significant breakdown in the middle of the winter.
Are Furnace Tune-Ups Necessary?
Fall tune-ups are essential to the overall health and safety of your home’s furnace. Scheduling this may seem like a hassle or an inconvenience, such as getting an oil change on your car. However, planning a furnace tune-up is not a yearly maintenance task you should skip out on.
Written By: Jim Comber – Expert HVAC Technician, HVAC Manager at Dream Team Home Services